Monday, February 27, 2012

Covers Project

I have always had an ongoing fascination with covers. And when I say cover, I mean the kind of cover that refers to when a musician creates an homage to a previously written and/or recorded song. It is an act of interpretation in which one musician admits the influence of another. It is a great compliment to be covered. It is a process intensive task to cover. I want to do the original justice!

I have found the creative task of interpreting other people's work to be both rigorous and exciting. As a musician, I cannot deny the importance or influence of a great song, but I'll be damned if I don't try to make it new and better!

A dialog is established the moment someone covers a song. By performing or recording a cover, the interpreter has taken what she believes to be the most important or exciting aspect of the original, and filters that through her own vocabulary while excluding or downplaying what might be less exciting. Criticism is an implicit function of covering someone's work. It tests the limits of the song as well as the prowess of the interpreter.

In this ongoing project, I am recording my interpretations of songs as well as designing new visual identities for them, accompanied by a small written blurb.

No comments:

Post a Comment